Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Aspiring Bakers: Matcha and Milktea Chiffon

I don't drink coffee and tea at all. To support this month's Aspiring Bakers #30: It's Tea Time! (April 2013), I tried out 2 types of tea chiffon cakes.

These 2 chiffon cakes are supposed to be my 12th and 13th chiffon cake (my target to do many chiffon cakes). But to avoid posting for Aspiring Bakers too late, I skip my 9-11th chiffon cakes to post up these 2 first. :)

Chiffon Cake #12: Matcha 抹茶

I wonder why my matcha chiffon did not have a nice green colour although I'm using a very good quality matcha powder. If anyone has any idea or suggestion do let me know. I love this matcha chiffon as it tastes so light and refreshing.



17cm chiffon tin:

3 egg yolks
12g sugar
36ml vegetable oil
42ml water
42g cake flour
6g matcha powder

3 egg whites
54g sugar (can reduce a little)
6g cornflour

Bake 170 deg C, 35 minutes

Adapted from Okashi: Sweet Treats Made With Love

Chiffon Cake #13: Milktea 奶茶




17cm chiffon tin:

1 tbsp tea leaves (I use 2 sachets 2g lipton tea)
30ml water
90ml milk

Heat up water till boiling, add in the tea leaves. Off the heat, cover and steep the tea for 3 minutes.
Add in milk, bring the mixture to a boil again, cook for 2-3 minutes.
Filter the mixture and measure to get 60ml* of milktea. Set aside to cool.
* If more than 60ml, can boil again to reduce to liquid, if less than 60ml, add more milk to get 60ml

3 egg yolks
20g sugar
40ml vegetable oil
80g cake flour
1 tbsp tea leaves, chopped finely (I use 2 sachets 2g lipton tea)

Whisk egg yolks and sugar till sugar dissolves. Add in vegetable oil, followed by 60ml milktea (from step above). Add tea leaves and then sifted flour.

4 egg whites
50 sugar

Beat egg whites till foamy, add in sugar gradually and whisk until stiff peak. Add egg white into the egg yolk batter in 3 additions. Pour into the cake tin. Knock the pan a few times to get rid of air bubbles.
Bake 170 deg C, 35 minutes

Adapted from 好吃戚风蛋糕轻松上手

I am submitting Matcha chiffon cake and Milktea chiffon cake to Aspiring Bakers #30: it's Tea time! (April 2013) hosted by Food Playground

28 comments:

  1. Looks delicious :) I love matcha bakes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello SSB, the top of my matcha chiffon cupcakes appears wet after leaving in room temperature for >10hr.. do u have any idea why?

      Delete
    2. Must cool down completely before you cover/store it. If not, could be slightly underbaked. Can bake for another 1-2 minutes. Like that it will also not shrink so badly as you have mentioned it.

      Delete
    3. Oh i see! Thanks for your advice! I will try again.

      Delete
  2. 最近我也有做7风
    我们来交换吃:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 我看到了!做么我的绿茶颜色没有你的那么美。:(

      Delete
  3. wow looks so light and fluffy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 好细好细的7风。。。
    好喜欢第一张照片。。。美极了。。。

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so soft and cottony! Thanks for your generous support! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hoping to see more tea bakes!

      Delete
  6. Noted。。。。。。谢谢分享,下次要try这个食谱了。

    ReplyDelete
  7. The milk tea one looks yummy!! =D great bake!

    Oh and i have the same problem when I bake green tea chiffon cakes too! the colour isn't a vibrant green.. makes me think they use coloured dye sometimes =S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm using a very good quality matcha powder. Maybe those bright green ones have colouring in it??

      Delete
    2. What colour is your matcha powder? The powder itself is supposed to be bright green and the resultant cake a darker green--but still not as brown as yours. A good matcha powder will oxidize very quickly and turn a weird green-brown like yours. Maybe post a photo of your matcha powder?

      Delete
  8. You know, whenever I think of chiffon cakes, I always think of you, SSB!
    You have the most number of chiffon cake recipes in your blog!

    Yet another nice matcha chiffon cake. I should try out your recipe, I need fail-proof recipes as somehow my chiffon cakes always fail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see how spongy and soft your chiffon is. I've not tried any green tea flavourings in bakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! The milk tea chiffon looks soft and fluffy. This will be great with a cup of hot milk tea. I am going to make this soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chiffon cake look so yummy! I LOVE chiffon cake, you got some nice recipe and food creation that I would love to try someday. By the way, I'm happy to be you new follower. Thanks for sharing this recipes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks SSB for sharing this recipe! :) Before this, I had never succeeded in making chiffon cake :p But I tried this recipe (in muffin cups) this morning, and they rose very high in the oven :D But after cooling them, they really shrunk a lot. They are very soft and fluffy - love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i made these lastnight & i must've made the rookie error of greasing my cake tin because the cake shrunk down from at least 3 inches tall down to less than an inch :o

    definitely: do not grease / line a round cake tin as i learned the hard way.

    i do think the recipe could use a frosting of sorts as it can be quiet savory in flavor.
    otherwise; thanks for the recipe & tips!
    x lakni

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know the reason for your matcha chiffon not green enough! The problem lies in the matcha powder, if you use good drinking matcha powder, the colour will turn dull as like your chiffon, try matcha powder for baking use, you can find in baking supply store, they are mush more intense and colour will be a nicer green =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess the reason for your matcha chiffon cake was the use of matcha powder, try using matcha powder for baking purpose, those you can find in baking supply store like phoon huat, its more intense and giv a nicer colour that will not fade or oxidise when baking =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am using a good quality matcha powder recommended by many bakers.
      http://bossacafez.blogspot.sg/2012/02/where-to-buy-matcha-powder.html

      But still didn't get the nice colour. Any reason if you know why?

      Delete
  16. Hi, I see that you are using the same green tea powder as me, recommended by Evans. That's is the best around for baking. I baked this green tea chiffon by keiko Ishida too.http://cooklovesgod.blogspot.sg/2012/10/theyre-are-our-family-too.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete