Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cranberry Yoghurt Chiffon Cake

I have a few more posts to clear, hopefully I can finish posting them before the year ends and for a brand new start next year.

I'm a chiffon cake lover, so here's another chiffon cake. This is adapted from HHB, I have to reduce the portion to fit my small chiffon tin.

I really like chiffon recipes that uses extra egg whites. It gives the cake more volume and more fluffy. I have not used self-raising flour or add any baking powder or cream of tartar for my chiffon cakes and the result is still very good. Strongly recommend this recipe to everyone.






Cranberry Yoghurt Chiffon Cake

Ingredients (makes one 16cm chiffon tin)

2 egg yolks (use large eggs)
15g caster sugar
30ml vegetable oil
60g plain yoghurt (I use meiji low-fat with mixed berry)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
60g cake flour

3 egg whites (use large eggs)
40g caster sugar

30g dried cranberries, chopped to small pieces and coat lightly with cake flour

Method

1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until well-mixed.
2. Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by yoghurt and lemon juice. Whisk till combined.
3. Add in sifted cake flour and whisk until combined, do not overmix.
4. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add in sugar gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5. Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches.
6. Add in the dried cranberries. Fold in gently.
7. Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 35 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack.
9. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.

Recipe from: 好吃戚风蛋糕轻松上手 and HHB