Sunday, May 03, 2009

Coffee Chiffon Cake

I wonder if it's the caffeine or the excitement that keeps me awake at night. Oh, it could be the caffeine cos I can't sleep well if I drink coffee in the day. It could be the excitement too... because I have FINALLY baked a chiffon cake successfully!


Not that I have never succeeded before. I managed to bake Banana Chiffon Cake and Green Tea Chiffon Cake pretty well and standing tall. Then later attempts were disappointment and more disappointment. But I did it again! See, no more sunken top! I'm excited! I keep thinking about what chiffon cakes to make and imagining myself making them successfully again when I can't seem to fall asleep last night.


I love this Kevin Chai's recipe. Simple and great. The texture is just perfect, soft and spongy and not too moist or dry. A must-try for chiffon cake beginners like me!


Coffee Chiffon Cake

Ingredients (6-inch chiffon tin)
2 egg yolks
20g caster sugar
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
20ml milk
20ml cooking oil
40g self-raising flour

2 egg whites (I use 3 egg whites but it is too much for a 6-inch tin, haha!)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50g caster sugar (can reduce to 40g)

Method
1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar. Stir instant coffee powder with milk until the coffee powder dissolves.
2. Add the coffee mixture and oil into the egg yolk batter. Fold in the flour.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture is foamy. Gradually add in sugar and beat until stiff peak form. (Important!)
4. Gently fold beaten egg white into egg yolk batter (in step 2) until blended in 3 batches.
5. Pour batter into ungreased 6-inch chiffon tin. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 deg C for 30 mins. (I bake at 180 deg C for the 1st 10 minutes, then reduce to 170 deg C for the next 20 minutes.)
6. Remove from oven and invert cake immediately until it is completely cool.

Recipe modified from: Chiffon Cake is Done by Kevin Chai